Minimise your credit card transaction fees
And grow your profit
Your low-cost solution for accepting credit cards
With SmartCharge you can minimise the cost of accepting credit cards. You simply pass on the cost of each transaction to your customer through a minimal administration surcharge.
Simply tell us the percentage or amount you want to set for each credit card transaction and our terminals automatically calculate the surcharge – there’s no manual processing required.
Surcharges are now common in many industries such as bars, cafes, restaurants, automotive services and professional services, however you need to make sure your customer knows about the surcharge fee before the transaction is completed* and disclosing the surcharge amount on receipts.
The Smartpay solution clearly prints the surcharge amount on every transaction receipt.
SmartCharge Frequently Asked Questions
How does it work?
The Smartpay Pax EFTPOS terminal identifies credit transactions and adds a percentage or flat fee (that you set) to the transaction automatically. No fuss, no maths required!
What EFTPOS terminal does it work on?
SmartCharge works on the complete Smartpay Pax range except the D200. If you need a Pax EFTPOS terminal then give us a call on 0800 476 278.
Can I change the rate?
Yes you can. The rate is set on our secure EFTPOS terminal management server and we can change this with 24 hours notice. You can change this twice with no charge. Following this it will cost $50 per change.
What else can be configured?
Surcharge Bypass allows you to opt to not surcharged for individual transactions by entering the bypass PIN.
Surcharge thresholds can be set for minimum and maximum values.
Can I trial the service?
If you’re not sure if your customers will accept the charge you can trial the service and cancel it with 48 hours notice. There is a one month minimum subscription fee payable.
Let us help you
Want to talk through your options? Call our Sales team on
0800 004 905 and we can help you with a solution based on the needs of your business.
Or complete the form online and one of our sales specialists will call you back within the next business hour.
Important things to know
The SmartCharge surcharge fee must be disclosed to the cardholder prior to the completion of the transaction* and the cardholder must be given an opportunity to cancel the transaction or use another method of payment;
The SmartCharge surcharge Fee is included as part of the total amount of the transaction and not collected separately;
The SmartCharge surcharge fee must bear a reasonable relationship to your cost of accepting nominated cards for payment. If you apply a Surcharge Fee, then you may apply such a Surcharge Fee on a flat rate or percentage basis.
*Your disclosure to the cardholder must:
- Inform the cardholder that a Surcharge Fee is assessed;
- Inform the cardholder of the Surcharge Fee amount or rate;
- Not describe the Surcharge Fee as, or inform the cardholder that the Surcharge Fee is, assessed by a card scheme or a financial institution; (i.e. Don’t blame the banks)
- Include notices, signs or decals disclosing that you assess a Surcharge Fee.
– Such notices, signs or decals must be displayed in a conspicuous location or location at the point of sale at each of your business premises, or, in the absence of a physical point of sale, prominently during an electronic commerce transaction or communicated clearly during a MOTO transaction so that all cardholders will be aware of the Surcharge Fee;
– Be clearly displayed or communicated in the transaction environment or process, including (if there is a physical point of sale) at the terminal or cashier’s desk and be of as high a contrast as any other signs or decals displayed;
– Be in a minimum of Arial 10 point font.
- Your Transaction Receipt for the transaction must clearly disclose the Surcharge Fee (Which the Smartpay solution does).
– The following information must appear on such receipt:
The Surcharge Fee, indicated in the transaction currency. (Which the Smartpay solution does)
Download a sample surcharge sign here.