Does accepting credit cards cost you money?
With more and more customers paying with credit cards, are your costs getting out of hand?
Payment solutions made easy
Smartpay surcharge means you can eliminate these costs to your business by automatically adding an administration fee to credit card transactions using our surcharge software on our Smartpay Pax EFTPOS product range.
Smartcharge Frequently Asked Questions
How does it work?
The Smartpay Pax EFTPOS terminal identifies credit transactions and adds a percentage (that you set) to the transaction automatically. No fuss, no maths required! Just a payments solution made easy.
What does it cost?
$19.95 per month plus GST. Just like the minimum monthly service fee charged by your bank. Slightly over 50 cents per day to save you thousands on Merchant Service Fees.
What EFTPOS terminal does it work on?
It works on the complete Smartpay Pax range. The mobile S90, the one and two piece S80. Need a Pax EFTPOS terminal then give us a call on 0800 476 278.
Can I change the rate?
Yes you can. The rate is set on our secure EFTPOS terminal management server and we can change this with 48 hours notice. You can change this twice with no charge. Following this it will cost $50 per change.
Can I trial the service?
Not sure if your customers will accept the charge. You can trial the service and cancel it with 48 hours notice. There is a one months minimum subscription fee payable.
Important things to know
- The Surcharge Fee is disclosed to the cardholder prior to the completion of the transaction and the cardholder is given an opportunity to cancel the transaction;
- The Surcharge Fee is included as part of the total amount of the transaction and not collected separately; (This is part of the Smartpay Solution)
- The Surcharge Fee bears a reasonable relationship to your cost of accepting nominated cards for payment. If you apply a Surcharge Fee, then you may apply such a Surcharge Fee on a flat rate or percentage basis, to some or all payment cards.
Your disclosure to the cardholder must:
- Inform the cardholder that a Surcharge Fee is assessed;
- Inform the cardholder of the Surcharge Fee amount or rate;
- Not describe the Surcharge Fee as, or inform the cardholder that the Surcharge Fee is, assessed by a card scheme or a financial institution; (i.e. Don’t blame the banks)
- Include notices, signs or decals disclosing that you assess a Surcharge Fee.
Such notices, signs or decals must be displayed in a conspicuous location or location at the point of sale at each of your business premises, or, in the absence of a physical point of sale, prominently during an electronic commerce transaction or communicated clearly during a MOTO transaction so that all cardholders will be aware of the Surcharge Fee;
- Be clearly displayed or communicated in the transaction environment or process, including (if there is a physical point of sale) at the terminal or cashier’s desk and be of as high a contrast as any other signs or decals displayed;
- Be in a minimum of Arial 10 point font.
Your Transaction Receipt for the transaction must clearly disclose the Surcharge Fee (Which the Smartpay solution does).
And the following information must appear on such receipt:
- The Surcharge Fee, indicated in the transaction currency. (Which the Smartpay solution does)
Download a sample surcharge sign here.